The Google Pixel 4 is Google’s latest smartphone that was launched in October 2019. It runs on Android 10, the latest version of Android released at the time. However, as with all Android devices, updates are periodically released by Google to enhance user experience, provide new features and fix possible bugs. The latest Android version, as of the time of writing, is Android 13 Tiramisu. If you own a Google Pixel 4, it is essential to update to the latest version of Android as this ensures better security, improved performance, and new features that come with the update. In this article, we will take you through the process of updating your Google Pixel 4 to Android 13 Tiramisu, including pre-update preparations, the update process, and troubleshooting after the update. So, let us dive in and explore all there is to know about updating your Google Pixel 4 to Android 13 Tiramisu.
Android 13 Tiramisu is the latest version of Android, providing a unique experience to users. It offers new features that are meant to improve user experience, functionality, and security. Some of the features offered by Android 13 Tiramisu include:
- Better notification management that allows users to group notifications based on apps
- Improved battery optimization and usage indications that give users a clear view of how apps consume battery power
- Enhanced security through a more advanced security patch level that protects users from security breaches
- A new and improved “Privacy Dashboard” that lets users have an overview of how individual apps treat their privacy and data.
- Improved Performance that makes the phone faster and more responsive,
- Better and more engaging animations that make the phone look more sleek and modern
The update is compatible with various devices, including Google Pixel 4 and other devices to be announced. You can check your device’s compatibility and update release date on the Android website or on Google Support. With these new features, updating your Pixel 4 to Android 13 Tiramisu has never been more important.
What is Android 13 called Tiramisu?
Android 13 is not called Tiramisu. In fact, there is no Android version with that name. Android versions are named after desserts and each version is assigned a different name in alphabetical order. Some of the popular Android versions include Cupcake, Donut, KitKat, Lollipop, and Nougat, among others. For more information about Android versions, you can visit the official Android website at www.android.com.
Preparing for the Update
Before proceeding with the update, it is important to prepare your Google Pixel 4 device properly. Here are some steps to follow:
- Ensure that your device is fully charged or has enough battery to last throughout the update process
- Ensure you have enough storage space to accommodate the update. (Android 13 Tiramisu will require at least 2GB of free space)
- Create a backup of your data (photos, videos, and other important files) to prevent loss of data during the update process
- Disconnect the phone from any other device connection (e.g., USB cable or power bank)
If your device has insufficient storage space, you can use an alternative method to update your Pixel 4 device. This method involves:
|1||Go to Google support and download the Android 13 OTA package|
|2||Boot your device into recovery mode|
|3||Select “Install package from SD card” and locate the file location|
|4||Select the package file and start the installation process|
Common Issues during Preparations
During preparations, some issues may arise, and here are some solutions to these issues:
- Low battery: Plug the device into a power source
- Insufficient storage space: Clear some space by deleting less important files or uninstalling unused apps.
- Backup failure: Ensure that your backup target or medium is enough and without any errors. Using Google Drive could be a great option.
What should I do first in Pixel 6?
If you have recently purchased a Pixel 6 and are wondering what to do first, here are some steps that can help you get started:
1. Turn on your Pixel 6 by pressing and holding the power button on the side of the phone.
2. Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the setup process, including connecting to a Wi-Fi network and signing in with your Google account.
3. Once you have set up your Pixel 6, you can start customizing it to your preferences. Some ways to do this include:
– Customize your home screen by adding app icons, widgets, and folders.
– Check out the Pixel Themes app to change the look of your phone’s interface with different wallpapers, fonts, and colors.
– Explore the various settings and features of your Pixel 6 to adjust things like notifications, display settings, and gestures.
4. If you’re planning to transfer data from your old phone to your Pixel 6, you can use the Google Pixel Switch app to do so. This app allows you to transfer contacts, messages, photos, and other data from your old phone to your new Pixel 6.
Overall, the Pixel 6 is a powerful device with many features and settings to explore. Take the time to get to know your new phone and find the settings and customizations that work best for you.
Performing the Update
After preparing your Google Pixel 4 device for the update, you can proceed to install Android 13 Tiramisu on your Google Pixel 4. Here are the steps to follow:
- Go to the “System Updates” setting on your device.
- Select “Check for updates“.
- If the update is available, click on “Download and Install“. Make sure your device stays connected to a stable internet connection during the download and installation process.
- Alternatively, you can connect your device to a PC and install the update via the Android SDK platform tools.
- Follow the prompts and wait for the update process to complete. The device may reboot multiple times during the installation process.
Common Issues during Update Process
During the update process, some issues may arise, and here are some possible solutions:
- Slow download or installation: Ensure that your device is connected to a stable and fast internet connection.
- Installation error: Restart your device and try the installation process again.
- Device not compatible: Some Google Pixel 4 devices may not be compatible with the update. Check the device compatibility list on the manufacturer’s website or contact customer support for assistance.
- Failed update: If the update fails, a simple restart may fix the issue. If not, contact Google customer support directly.
How to install Android 10 update?
To install the Android 10 update, follow these simple steps:
1. Ensure your device is compatible with the Android 10 update.
2. Make sure your device is connected to Wi-Fi to avoid data charges.
3. Go to your device’s Settings and tap on ‘System’ followed by ‘System update’.
4. Tap on ‘Check for update’ and wait for the update to show up.
5. Once the update is available, tap on ‘Download and Install’.
6. Your device will automatically reboot once the update is installed.
If the update is not immediately available, you may need to wait for some time as updates are released in batches. Alternatively, you can visit the manufacturer’s website or forums to download the update manually.
Some popular devices that have received the Android 10 update include the Google Pixel series, OnePlus 7 and 7 Pro, Samsung Galaxy S10 and Note 10, and Xiaomi Mi 9.
Even after updating your Google Pixel 4 device, some problems may arise. Here are some common issues you may face and some ways to troubleshoot them:
- Since the update may run more aggressively, the battery life may decrease.
- Ensure that the battery settings are optimized for performance by going to Settings > Battery > Battery Usage.
- Turn off any battery-hogging features like Bluetooth, GPS, and Wi-Fi location reporting to prolong battery life.
- If the problem persists, try calibrating your battery by running it down to around 10%, then charging it to 100% without turning it on.
- Update third-party apps to the latest versions that are optimized for Android 13 Tiramisu.
- Clear cache data. Go to Settings > Storage > Cached Data > Clear Cached Data.
- If the device is still slow, try resetting the device to factory settings. Remember to backup your data first.
- Clear the individual app cache of the app that’s crashing. Go to Settings > Apps > App Info > Storage > Clear Cached Data.
- If the app still crashes, uninstall and reinstall the app from the Google Play Store.
- If the problem persists, contact the app developer for support.
How to do basic troubleshooting?
Basic troubleshooting involves identifying and solving common problems that may arise while using a product or service. Here are some steps to follow for basic troubleshooting:
- Start by identifying the problem. Gather all the information you can about what’s happening.
- Check any error messages; they may give you an idea of what the issue might be. You can Google the error message to get possible solutions.
- Restart the product or service. This simple step can solve many problems.
- Check if all cables, cords and plugs are properly connected.
- Consult the product manual if available on the website or in the packaging. Look for troubleshooting guides, FAQs or forums.
- If the above-mentioned methods do not work, search the web for advice from experts or other users who may have faced the same issue.
By following these steps, one can solve most of the common problems that may arise. However, if the problem persists, it may be necessary to contact the product or service provider for further assistance.
Updating your Google Pixel 4 device to Android 13 Tiramisu is an excellent way to experience the latest features and benefits that the software offers. Updating your device’s software to its latest version will not only make it more user-friendly but also ensure that security vulnerabilities or bugs are fixed. It is always advisable to keep your device updated with the latest updates as developments in technology occur at a rapid pace. But, it’s important to remember that installation processes can take time, and there may be some issues along the way. So, make sure you have sufficient storage capacity and a reliable internet connection before starting the update process. And, if you do run into any issues, refer to the guide or contact Google’s customer support for assistance. By updating your device, you will be able to use the latest features and software upgrades to make your device perform better and stay packed with useful and innovative features.